Thursday, August 20, 2009

Leaving Kiev


We decided to spend my last two nights in Kiev partying. I was going to be the first intern to leave. I was the second to arrive. Kasia and Pawel were on a train right after mine, and shortly after that everyone would be starting to leave either for home or for another city in Ukraine. So, the best thing we could do was only send a couple interns to school to teach and everyone would party all night long. These two nights were very different but probably two of my favourite nights in Kiev and some of the most fun I’d had there. We all were in awesome moods even though it was a sad time, and everything just seemed to flow. I was really relaxed since I didn’t have to go teach and I didn’t really have any responsibilities except for having to pack. We were all together, with no interns missing, which didn’t happen very often in such a big group.

Friday night, the first night, we were going to go out and walk around Kiev and drink, but it just never happened. We cooked some of the dumplings that had been donated to us (75kg!!) and started drinking really early. All the interns needed a big photo shoot together, which is hard with 14 people in such a small place. We were all pretty loaded I think. We did some group shots in the living room, but it wasn’t good enough. We risked the desk collapsing for a big group shot outside from down below and with all of our flags. We turned place into a dance party and Kavi amazed us yet again with his moves he learned for India’s got Talent.

The last night in Kiev was another shit show. We spent tons of time “getting slutty” for the night club. Even the guys were stressing about what to wear and changing a lot. There could be no one to fall victim to “Faes-Kontrol” tonight. All the interns had to be together at the club. We conned a few cabs into taking us to Forsage for one last night. We partied on all three dance floors, but our favourite was the basement with R&B and pop hits. It was an awesome night at the club. In the morning we took cabs in daylight from the club to McDonalds by Chris’ metro station on the other side of Kiev. The McDrive let us walk through and make our order, but the only thing they had was breakfast sandwiches at 6am haha. This is a poor substitute to chicken shawarma, but it would have to do.

The last day in Kiev I spent my time going to get more souvenirs with the money I didn’t spend at the club. There were lots to do too. I was last minute packing, and it was hard not to forget anything when rushed and in a messy apartment. I bought food for the 35 hour train to Prague.

I hurried to get to the train station on time. Kavi helped me carry my bags but we were almost even more delayed when security tried to detain him for not having a passport on him. Luckily our politely declining the imprisonment and pointing to our watches and the bags somehow worked. At the train station we said all our goodbyes in a large group, they gave me a little present, and they shed some tears.

I waved good-bye as the train slowly pulled away and out of Kiev.

1 comment:

  1. THat's great you described everything... I can come back for a while to Kyiv;) Best regards, wish you everything best in Korea:)Kasia

    ReplyDelete