Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Canada Day in Ukraine!


I hadn’t really got homesick yet. I missed everyone a lot but I’ve been really busy too. I figured it would happen on Canada day though. I’d been spending the week leading up to it reminding everyone and trying to get them excited. Not every country has something like this, where you celebrate your country and go all out. We’re not even that old of a country either. In some places, you can’t even get a flag unless it’s for official use. We wave them everywhere, turn them into umbrellas, hats, chairs, whatever. A couple days before, we had made pancakes and everyone tried the maple syrop I brought from home. I tried to get everyone invited to the embassy’s Canada day party, but they said it’s already really crowded with actual Canadians, so it wouldn’t be fair to bring such a big group. We went down to Zaloti Varota, a nice park square around the ancient Golden Gate of Kiev.

We had some beers and eventually made our way down to the Canadian embassy. We passed a ton of people on the street leaving the party who were really decked out and cheering. I wished everyone we passed a happy Canada day, and they were really excited with lots of questions. I regretted not wearing lots of red or bringing my flag, but when I explained how we go all out back home, the other interns thought I was kind of weird I think. I don’t know if they are as patriotic in the same way. When we got to the embassy the party was over and all the drunk people were clearing out. A couple drunk people told us we could have all come anyways, but since no one had their passports we weren’t really allowed to even look inside. We got a group photo outside the gate and continued on with more drinking on the streets.

No comments:

Post a Comment