Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The real reason: AIESEC Global Internship Program

Ok, so I’ve been doing a lot of travelling around Western Europe so far, but the real reason I’m away is to do an AIESEC internship and finally participate in the main reason for joining AIESEC, the Global Internship Program. Ukraine is technically a developing country, or a 2nd world nation. It is one of the poorest countries in Europe. Ukraine was, and is still, greatly affected by WWII, and until recently it was part of the USSR. Many people in Ukraine are striving to become part of the EU by 2015, while another majority wants to remain more loyal and be influenced by Russia.

I hadn’t realized it, but now I remember reading about Ukraine in a couple major news stories lately. In 2004, after the national elections in November, there were accusations of vote rigging from the pro-West side. After an assumed poisoning that almost killed but seriously disfigured the face of would be President, there were massive protests in the main square in Kiev. The Orange revolution lasted into December until another vote was held and the previously declared winner, pro-Russia, was ousted from office. More recently, this past January, Russia cut off Ukraine’s supply of natural gas demanding 10 times the regular price. Many assumed this was a subtle punishment for Ukraine slowly becoming closer with Western Europe. The gas was eventually turned back on at only double the price.

I was really excited to travel beforehand, but now I’m also really excited to get to Kiev. It will be more of experiencing the culture instead of just looking at the important buildings. I’ve got to read a lot about the country and Kiev, and there is a fascinating history and lots of social and justice problems to tackle. From a development perspective, there have been several major improvements since 2004, such as more liberal media, and wage increases. There are still many large problems to face, like many social services and environmental issues.

I hope the work I’ll be doing there is impactful and meaningful. I’m not fighting off AIDS in Africa or anything, but hopefully from a grassroots perspective, spreading cultural awareness and leadership skills development to youth in Kiev will have a positive impact down the road.

This will be a good cap to my AIESEC experience. It is almost anti-climatic, because it will be the last role I have as an AIESEC member before I become an alumnus. It will be a different kind of reconnection after NLDC, because I will see the organization more globally, and finally complete my @XP. It was strange to hear the past alumni at the conference talk about and remember all their exchanges. I think the culture of AIESEC has changed a little, in the not all members complete and exchange, but I’m glad I’m getting to do mine.

1 comment:

  1. so i'm stalking your blog! haha and WOOT for doing an exchange...I personally think those that choose not to do one are missing an huge chunk of their @ XP, but hey that's just me!

    I definitely think you'll have an impact - and what better way to create impact then influencing and developing the youth that will change things, make things better in 5, 10, 15 years? You might not see your impact now, but it will come! :)

    ReplyDelete