I realize I haven't updated on a lot since the post on Christmas, and it's already the end of May. I will get to everything, eventually, but all this stuff with North Korea is going on right now so I might as well comment on it.
I'm not one to worry. The Koreans don't really seem to even notice what's going on since it happens all the time I guess and they are more desensitized. We even just booked a tour to the DMZ through the USO for a couple weeks from now and they didn’t even mention it. And the Western media has been known to exaggerate things and sensationalize certain stories.
If you haven’t heard the North Koreans allegedly sank the Cheonan, a Korean navy ship doing exercises along the disputed maritime border with North Korea. There was an international investigation after the ship sunk and 46 sailors died. The conclusion was a torpedo from a North Korean submarine sunk the ship. North Korea denied it and said it was a big fabrication. Since the Korean War ended in an armistice agreement (technically the North and South are still at war), there have been numerous steps towards unification and peace. Things like increased trade, joint industrial parks, diplomatic visits, and even foreign aid money and food have been exchanged between North and South. All of that is screeching to a halt as the South cuts ties and the North gets angrier and threatens to retaliate. Seoul has started blaring propaganda broadcasts back into the North. The North said it will shoot down any speakers.
All of this is going to make for a really exciting DMZ visit if it actually goes ahead. We’ll even get to see the North Korean propaganda town with the world’s largest flagpole. They constructed a virtual ghost-town complete with fake people and automatic lights across the border so people looking over will think it’s a beautiful and prosperous place. It is such a mysterious country.
After WWII, the former USSR took over reconstruction efforts of the North, and the US took over reconstruction of the South. The demarcation line was drawn by the US so they could have Seoul in their half. This oversimplification of Korean history is basically how the Korean War started and how we ended up living next door to one of the most secretive countries in the world. You can read more details about the current conflict everywhere, or here is good: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/asia_pacific/10144059.stm
Back to the worrying...So the Canadian government sent a big long email letter to everyone registered with the embassy in Seoul. They also said they have started testing warning SMS messages, etc.
“Dear Canadian Citizen,
In May 2010, a multinational investigation team concluded that North Korea (DPRK) was responsible for the sinking of a South Korean warship resulting in 46 casualties. The evolving political response is likely to cause even greater inter-Korean tensions, which could escalate into other forms of confrontation. This situation has been extensively covered by international news media over the last week.
For the moment, Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada has not changed the risk level for the two countries nor released any official warning. The Canadian Embassy to Korea is closely monitoring the situation and will advise the Canadian community in Korea of developments as required. As the situation evolves, you are advised to consult the Travel Report for South Korea for up-to-date information.
Canadians are encouraged to maintain their level of readiness to cope with any emergency situation. It is recommended that:
-you ensure that your travel documents, including your passport, are valid;
-you have registered with the online Registry of Canadians Abroad (ROCA) and/or updated your registration with your latest information.
Please see the weblinks below for additional information:
(this one was included as one of the links!!!)
Emergency evacuation
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/korea-coree/consular_services_consulaires/emergency_plan_urgence.aspx?lang=eng
http://www.voyage.gc.ca/faq/evacuations-eng.asp
We hope that this information will be helpful to you. “
Awesome, thanks Canada.
Thursday, May 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
After I'd left Rwanda I continued to get emails from the embassy for a few months. One of them came while I was still in Uganda and informed the Canadian public that grenades had been set off in two locations in downtown Kigali. By the time I'd gotten the email, I'd already heard about the attacks via sms from a friend, made a few calls and received back updates from my personal network. The email I received from the consulate said that one of the grenades had gone off at my bus stop in downtown and that such places should be avoided. At first this scared me, and once I was assured that everyone I knew who may have been there was ok, I thought it kinda funny. Being that I was not a stereotypical white in Africa I didn't have my own SUV and driver to cart me around, and given that I valued the cultural expereince and also my budget, regualar taxis weren't really an option. During my time in Rwanda this bus was life. Sure had I been there at that time I might have taken motorcycle taxis for a few days, or maybe avoided town, but after a week I would have been back in that crowd hoping not to get stuck with a fold out seat after I push my way onto the bus. You just keep on keepin on, that's the way it goes.
ReplyDelete