In a multi-cultural society like Canada it's just expected that everyone speaks English, at least a little bit. The exception might be in Quebec or First Nations communities who may live in a more predominately French area, be more isolated or inclined to preserve their own culture and language. Regardless, this year abroad, especially teaching ESL, has given me an increased appreciation, patience and understanding for those who have learned English as a second language. It's hard. I do teach some unmotivated students, and others who may have other undiagnosed learning disabilities. The majority of them just find it difficult though. For the most part, the more I teach other students and get deeper into the curriculum, I just pause and reflect on how many rules and exceptions there really are.
Knowing English as a first language I (and I think most others) take for granted the intricacies, innuendos, sarcasms, euphemisms, and spelling in general (take the last 5 words, for example, which I needed spell check for). Anyways, just a brief comment that the next time you deal with someone who is struggling at English, be it a friend, classmate, customer, new immigrant, etc., just pause and reflect. Think about what their back-story might be. What obstacles did they have to overcome to get where they are. You probably don't speak any of their language, so give them props for learning yours, and appreciate that you grew up speaking a language that is recognized the world over as the standard for business, travel, education, and conversation.
Thursday, January 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment