Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Call Me

I finally got a mobile phone. So this post is a little late, I actually got the phone way back in October, but still a big deal worth mentioning. You can’t sign a contract here until you have your Alien Registration Card. You can’t get that until your school sends you paperwork off. They can’t do that until you go for your medical check, get the results back, and pass it. So after all the red tape I went to one of the little cell phone kiosks that are on almost every corner to sign up for a cheap plan.

It may be because I haven’t had a new phone in awhile, or because I’m in Asia, but the one I picked out was P-I-M-P. It was a really tiny slider phone with all these features, and a really good camera. It only cost about $40CAD and for only having an 11-month plan I only had to pay an extra 40. I think I might get spoiled off this and hate Rogers even more when I get back to Canada. The only bad thing is Korea operates on a random cell phone system that pretty much nowhere else in the world has. So the phone is useless anywhere else.

It was really freeing and isolated (at the same time) to not have a phone for awhile. I cut mine off back home in May and didn’t have one all summer while in Europe. I didn’t really need it anyways. And a month back in Canada without one wasn’t too bad. It was mainly just here in Korea that I missed it the most, for getting in touch with people over the little things or sending texts. My biggest fear was that Lisa and I would get separated somewhere in Seoul and not be able to find each other. It’s all good now though. Let me know if you want my Korean number haha.

1 comment:

  1. haha it's so true - i paid like $77 Canadian to get a phone for one year, and then I just put money on it whenever I need to. No 3 year contracts, no outrageous fees...Canadian cell phone companies are the shits!! If I could live without a cell I would...but I can't so I guess I'll just have to suck it up when I get back lol

    ReplyDelete