So my hair was getting kind of long. It was also a heat wave here in Kiev. So hot, itchy, all that. Yeah, I had to go get it cut somewhere. But where? No one here speaks English. I had somewhat of an interpreter, two friends who speak Russian as a second language. I’m normally a little apprehensive anyways to go get my hair cut, a stranger holding scissors that close to the money maker? I mean, come on. They were joking with me the whole way there that they were going to tell the hairdresser to die my hair blonde, or shave it all off, or give me a mullet (which are very popular and trendy here). So we got there, we bargained for a price, pretended to leave, got a better price, and sat and waited for 5 minutes (or 30 minutes Ukrainian time). At the price of $4, we were probably still getting ripped off, but whatever. The whole thing was fine, except I didn’t know what she was saying at all as she kept talking to me. My main concern was when she showed me how big between her finger s I didn’t know if it was how much she was cutting or how much she was leaving. Also, Chris and Kasia laughing the whole time didn’t help. Oh well, I survived to tell the story.
Friday, July 3, 2009
Have you ever got a haircut by someone who doesn`t speak your language?
So my hair was getting kind of long. It was also a heat wave here in Kiev. So hot, itchy, all that. Yeah, I had to go get it cut somewhere. But where? No one here speaks English. I had somewhat of an interpreter, two friends who speak Russian as a second language. I’m normally a little apprehensive anyways to go get my hair cut, a stranger holding scissors that close to the money maker? I mean, come on. They were joking with me the whole way there that they were going to tell the hairdresser to die my hair blonde, or shave it all off, or give me a mullet (which are very popular and trendy here). So we got there, we bargained for a price, pretended to leave, got a better price, and sat and waited for 5 minutes (or 30 minutes Ukrainian time). At the price of $4, we were probably still getting ripped off, but whatever. The whole thing was fine, except I didn’t know what she was saying at all as she kept talking to me. My main concern was when she showed me how big between her finger s I didn’t know if it was how much she was cutting or how much she was leaving. Also, Chris and Kasia laughing the whole time didn’t help. Oh well, I survived to tell the story.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
ahhh hahaha your face in that picture is priceless!!! glad the hair cut turned out ok, you took a chance there! lol
ReplyDeleteYour face, Adam..Only you could have made that face! Now YOU should sell that pic on eBay to make bucks! Go counter that price you paid for your haircut! :D
ReplyDelete