Thursday, May 28, 2009

In Transit. Touchdown in the Motorcity.



Leaving was a little harder than I thought. I guess I didn't think about what it would be like. It was a really busy last couple weeks, with convocation and packing and all that. And it takes a lot of time to look up about where you are going, figure out train schedules, book hostels, and check out maps. It will be a good prep if we do move to Korea for the year in August. I will see what I packed that I didn’t need at all, and what I should have packed that I missed the most. I finally figured out my train schedule for visiting Amsterdam, Fadi and Erin in Grenoble, Paris, and then Berlin. I just have to get my ticket from Berlin to Kiev once I get to the Netherlands.

At the airport in Halifax I was chosen for a random search. Good thing I was somewhat early, and used to travelling, because they are really weird. They pat your whole body down with latex gloves on in front of everyone. Most notably, Katie at the TO airport.

Mean sounding security officer: Ma’am, you have been chosen for a random search! Do you know what a random search is?

Katie: Uh, is it just where they search me randomly? haha

I also randomly had the same US Border Services staff going to pre-clearance as when I went to Baltimore. I don’t think he remembered me, but he used the same fast questions game show style interview as last time. I also answered the questions like in a speed round on a game show. “When was the last time you were in the US? Why? Will you be leaving any belongings in the US? Where is your final destination? What are you doing there? An internship in Amsterdam? What kind of camp will you be working at in the Ukraine?” All very important details to let me stopover in Detroit I’m sure.

Then he noticed the stamp in my passport from Dubai. “What were you doing in the UAE?” What kind of conference? None of the other countries in my passport were of interest to him. I think either he takes his job too seriously, or his government does.

Sitting here in Detroit I am also noticing a lot of lazy characteristics about the people here. Maybe it’s because I’m bored and I have 4 more hours to wait. There is a train from one end of the airport terminal to the other. It’s a pretty big airport, but I mean, come on people, there’s moving sidewalks everywhere, and all your luggage is on wheels. I also just saw a police officer on a Segway, inside, taxpayers’ dollars hard at work. There are also a lot of people still concerned about H1N1 flu I think. There are lots of people in masks and hand sanitizer dispensers everywhere.

Okay, only 4 more hours. Hopefully they announce my gate soon. Hmmm, do really want McDonalds for lunch before an 8hour flight? Or should I just go get a $9 sandwich?

No comments:

Post a Comment