Friday, September 18, 2009

In Transit to Korea


It was a crazy early time to get up to get to the airport for our flight to New York. The flight to Korea from JFK wasn’t until 2pm so we knew the school just bought the cheapest ticket out of Halifax at 6:30am. I woke up when a lot of people were going to bed. Thanks to Dad for driving us to the airport and leaving the house at 4am. Way too early to be driving anywhere.

When we got the NYC, it was a really long stopover until our flight to Seoul Incheon. It was not quite long enough to risk it and head into Manhattan, but too early to check into our next flight. We tried to nap in the check in lounge, but settled on eating most of our place snacks instead. It was a really long flight from there. Only about 14.5 hours in the air to Korea. For some reason I thought we’d just head West, over the Rockies and the Pacific and Japan and end up there. We headed North. We flew back over most of Canada, over Hudson’s bay, across Alaska and then down through Russia. I guess this way is shorter. It stayed light the whole time. It never got dark for us in over 24 hours. We crossed the International Date Line, but I slept through it.

Time on the flight passed pretty quickly, despite being the longest flight I have ever been on. We slept a lot. Getting up so early made us more tired, which was good. By the time we took off, read the in flight magazine, some of my book, ate the first meal, and watched a movie it was time to sleep. When I got up, we ate again, watched another movie, we were fed again, and I read some more. We were almost there by now. We had the window and middle seat, which was good for sleeping , but not good after consuming lots of free booze on an overseas flight. The getting up to walk around was good though, keeping the blood flowing. Lisa tried bibimbap, which is a cool Korean dish of spicy rice and a bunch of side dishes you add to the main one. We were glad it came with instructions and that the person in the aisle seat was Korean but spoke English.

When we heading right towards Korea from Russia, and on the little TV screen on the backs of our seats it was cool to see how we cut out into the water and flew around North Korea’s air space. It was a very cool view of the city coming in. Seoul is huge and the high rise apartments went on forever. There were some weird rules on the Korean Air flight though. We were not allowed to take pictures as we were landing. We also had to shut the windows for most of the flight after we took off until before we landed. I got the window seat, I’m here for the view. Once we landed, we headed to get our luggage and try and find the supervisor from our school who was meeting us.

No comments:

Post a Comment